Gardening Adventures this Year
Since The change in season from summer to fall also marks the end of our garden project for 2022. Our participants were busy working in the garden through the summer harvest. Some of the highlights this year were:
• Starting our warm season flower annuals and caring for them from seed to seedling to full bloom.
• Making pressed flower art from the Celosia, basil, gomphrena, and sunflowers.
• Planting and caring for squash, beans, peppers, and tomato seedlings.
• Harvesting numerous vegetables from our very own garden patch.
• Hatching and releasing painted lady butterflies.
• Making homemade hummingbird nectar and hanging hummingbird feeders around the property.
• Experimenting with hydroponic planting techniques and germinating bean seeds using only water and sunlight.
We “closed down” our summer garden this month by prepping for the next cycle in the early spring. We are planting cover crops in the outdoor beds and planting cool-season veggies and flowers in our greenhouse.